The Organiser's Ride Report

 


After a winter of looking at maps and checking out sections, I finally felt I had a route that would work, so on the last Bank Holiday of May 2021, I set off from Slaithwaite to test out my new Audax route. Here lies the memory of my legs...

Velofondista's bicycle shop is next to the niche Empire Brewery on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal in Slaithwaite. After a very short flat ride past the brewery and bakery the route turns left and then turns vertical. The first climb is 210m in 3km, past Pole Moor onto the ridge between the Colne Valley and Calderdale. The views are amazing: to the east there is nowhere higher as far as the North Sea.

If you have a Garmin with ClimbPro activated, you'll know that was hill 1 of 16.

There is a short descent to Scammonden Reservoir and this involves a little gravel cycle path along the top of the dam which is fine for 23mm tyres.  It is nice to be able to look back along the surface of the water while knowing that 5m to your right thunders the M62. At the other end is the NCN68 corrugated tunnel under the M62 and a very steep gravel climb to the nearest road. Very cycleable - I've done it.

Another reservoir and another descent, this time into Ripponden. From here I found it was fast downhill for 3km to a place called Triangle and then the jawdropping turn onto Butterworth Lane. This is steep. Very steep. Dean lane marks a relief and from here on the ride to Mytholmroyd is delightful. I noted that we need to be careful of gravel on the road and some sharp bends. Someone has put speed bumps on the descent into Mytholmroyd which need care.

The main Burnley road is wide and quiet this early and takes a few moments to reach Hebden Bridge. There was a choice here, take you up 'The Buttress' on NCN68, or admit that would be evil and instead take you up the main road to Heptonstall. This does mean turning right at a 'no right turn' but if it is busy just dismount and walk across the pedestrian crossing.

There is another climb to Heptonstall which is steep, but after that we're rewarded with a beautiful ride from Slack Top along Widdop road past more reservoirs and amidst remote moorland.

As I rode along this I noticed that care was needed on descents as they were twisty with unexpectedly sharp bends and the ever present possibility or gravel or sheep. The other thing I noticed was how hard the climbing was, and climbs in places I hadn't anticipated. The road had looked flat on the map. Eventually I felt I'd crossed the high point and in return after another twisty descent I found yet more hills between me and Colne. As I climbed I thought to myself, "What have I done, this is ridiculous. I haven't even got past 30km and I'm inching my way up 20% climbs. This is a stupid route and no one will ever be able to complete it. I'll be out of time at Colne."

Finally when I got to Colne I discovered that Colne itself in on a ridge - more climbing.

There are loads of places to get refreshments in Colne and there are two big supermarkets where a comfort break could be found, but taking the route past them was niggly, so instead I take us onwards to Nelson and then Whalley. My first stop came after 50km in at the CoOp in Whalley. Two fresh cream eclairs and a cold can of coffee.

What I knew in my heart was becoming clear. All the serious climbing was done in the first 40km. There were a few hills ahead of me, but nothing riders will be afraid of. A few elderly 4x4 drivers seemed to think the narrow lanes were one way in their direction only, and I slowed for a couple of horse riders but eventually the lanes opened out and I was on B-roads to Longridge and onward to Preston. It was becoming very easy now.

There is a Texaco garage with really clean and good quality loos at the control in Broughton, and a CoOp on the other side of the t-junction. This was my second refuelling stop as the day was warming up and I needed to keep refilling my water bottle.

As I turned south into Preston, there were a lot of cars going the other way. I later discovered that the M6 was shut to an accident and that this was the diversion route. I really hope this doesn't happen int he opposite direction on event day. The ride through Preston was dead easy, nice wide roads and intermittently well-marked cycle paths. I reached the park and I'd gone to the trouble of routing the ride over the river Ribble on a disused railway bridge.

South now on the urban section of the ride. I noticed that I hadn't been checking my gps for distance because there was always something interesting to look at, or a new village to pass through. Although the roads had the potential to be busy, it didn't feel busy or threatening - it felt remarkably easy.

Eccleston has a perfectly placed mini-Supermarket and then more similar roads followed to cross the M6 (were I discovered the stationary traffic on all three lanes northbound), and heading south to Wigan. After the remoteness of West Yorkshire, the residential nature of this section felt very different. However, the advantage was that there was a never ending supply of petrol stations, cafes, supermarkets, toilets, and rest places.

Reaching Warburton Toll Bridge uses a tiny bit of fast A-road, but it is only 500m long and the turn to the bridge is left, off the road. Sadly Warburton Toll Bridge isn't anywhere as nice as Aldwark Bridge over near York, but still, nice to have free passage while motorists have to pay 12p.

As I turned back east towards Manchester I knew that the next section would be brilliant, having done parts of it with Mike Wigley a fortnight before. The route goes through suburban areas and onto the Bridgewater Way towpath into the heart of Manchester. I like to slow right down near walkers and say thank you - it isn't a race after all. Audaxers can be ambassadors for good cycling etiquette.

The towpath was a great cycle surface and Old Trafford looms over like the cathedral to a football that it is. As I reached the centre of Manchester the towpath became busier but this was no big deal, I took it slowly which was nice after the speed I'd made from Preston. Leaving the towpath I found myself in the heart of Manchester's nightlife district. The only thing to fear here is the Uber driver. The route is dead easy to navigate and takes us out to the Etihad stadium and then to the home of British Cycling at the National Cycling Centre. Only 30km left.

Getting into, and through, Manchester had been easy, and so was leaving it. It is a surprise to find country lanes so close to the city centre. After 180km there are only two hills and two descents left to do and they are not as bad as I expected. I refulled just before them at the CoOp petrol station in Lees, Oldham, and then climbed to the top of the hill outside Delph. A sweeping descent with a big grin was followed by the last - and an absolute favourite - climb. Reaching Standedge there is a strava segment to the cutting if you have the legs for it, but then the final delight: 10km of downhill back to Velofondista in Slaithwaite.

At first I thought I'd screwed up and that the whole ride was impossible. But after Whalley I found the ride getting easier and easier, my legs recovered and the road was perfect for making up time. I could stop wherever I wanted to refuel and I was constantly seeing interesting things and my mind was occupied, so that I no longer noticed the distance. There is so much to see on this event and riding through the centre of Manchester is a revelation - it really can be done!

Where I have added distance it for a good reason... to descend quicker and without brakes rather than slower and on the brakes. To make the climbing easier and quicker. There are shortcuts - but taking them would be daft. Any ride that finishes with 10km downhill has to be a winner... I hope that this ride report gives you some confidence that if you can ride 200km, you can ride these 200km.

Velofondista and I are really looking forward to seeing you in mid September when I hope the weather is in our favour, when I hope the two football clubs are playing away and when I hope you get to enjoy the sort of riding I'm getting to do in my new home.

God bless you. Graeme.



Comments